Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy New Year

One of my favorite bloggers, Tsh at  http://simplemom.net/, posts these Questions for Reflection for the New Year annually. Last year I thought about them for a few minutes, pondering how my year had gone. This time I'm gonna think about each one for more than just a couple of minutes. I'm going to REALLY think about them, and write the answers down. Here are some of them... abbreviated ;)

What was the single best thing that happened this year?

Well, that's easy, right? ;)


What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Balancing the needs of 3 children, Aaron, myself and all the other important people and activities in our lives. Having a new baby with 2 preschoolers and a husband who's had a challenging and very time consuming year at work has been, well, challenging. For all involved.

What was an unexpected joy this year?
Getting to visit my old and dear friend Tracie in Tennessee. It's been sooooo long since we've seen each other and I've never visited her in TN. So even though it was for such a sad sad reason (the funeral of her brother), being able to put my eyes on her and my arms around her was such an unexpected joy.

Pick 3 words to describe 2011.

Character building opportunity

What were the best books you read this year?

Ummm... did I read??? Just kidding, um, sort of. I read the 7th Harry Potter (for the 3rd time) and it was awesome (again :) I started the Aunt Dimity series of cozy mysteries while on bed rest and I'm totally hooked.

With whom were your most valuable relationships?

This is a really good one. I like this question a lot and have given it much thought.

What was your biggest personal challenge from January to December?

Getting back to my pre-pregnancy weight!!! And mission accomplished and then some!!!! Can you tell I'm proud ;)

What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?

THE TELEVISION! I have given up most tv in the past 6 months. No more reality tv. No more flipping channels at night. I still have a few favorites I DVR, and my goal is to turn on the tv, watch my show and turn it off! And I'm doing pretty well, although it's incredibly easy to slip right back in to the flipping channels habit.

What was the best way you used your time this past year?

I think the only possible answer for me is spending time with my kids. Really really spending time with them. Leaving the cereal on the floor, the laundry unfolded and the phone on silent and walking with them as they ride their scooters around the block. Playing memory and Go Fish. Making a huge mess baking brownies. There are so many other ways that I spend my time, gratifying ways, but I believe this is the BEST way.

What was the biggest thing you learned in 2011?
In terms of practical learning, how to manage the households finances. And I should emphasize learnING, nor learnED.

In terms of  big life learning, really facing and trying to accept that my children are participants in this world, this society, not just in this family. For good and sometimes for not-so-good, other people, other participants in this world, will help shape them and the lives they lead.

Create a phrase or statement that describes 2011 for you.

While I definitely won't be sorry to put much of 2011 behind me, I've stretched and grown in ways I didn't know I ever would. I'll take what I learned with me into what I hope will be a happier, easier 2012.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year darlin' (s)
    Anne and David

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that I am your unexpected joy. You will never know how much your hug meant to me that day. No matter how many miles or how much time passes, your friendship will always mean the world to me. Kiss the babies for me. Love and miss you! :)~Tracie

    ReplyDelete