Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What I'm gonna do Wednesdays

In August 2016 Molly will start kindergarten and I will have 6 1/2 hours a day with no kids. After I've spent 2 months catching up on laundry and a few weeks napping and having complete coherent thoughts, I'm gonna need something to do with my time.

Let's look at the facts:

By August 2016 I will have dedicated 8 1/2 years to raising our little kids to school age. I'll have learned tons about child development, simple home repair, organization and decluttering, money management... the list could go on. There has been and will continue to be lots of on the job training for this mom of 2 then 3 kiddos. (But can those skills translate to an out-of-the-home job?)

I will have been out of the work force for almost 9 years. And when I exited it I wasn't exactly CEO of GE. I've been a gymnastics instructor and front desk phone answerer. I've been a sandwich and salad maker at a coffee shop. That's it. That's all I got on my resume. Not to say that I wasn't a valuable employee, I worked hard and showed up mostly on time and felt like I contributed positive things at work. But let's face it, not wanting to go back and teach gymnastics or make chicken salad for a living, these previous job choices aren't going to catapult me towards my new career choice.

Once Molly is in kindergarten, I'll be dropping the kids off at school at 7:35 and picking them up at 2:30 and 2:45. So I can work from 8 until 2. That's not a ton of time. There are other options I'm willing to consider (teaching for example) that would put me at work for a little longer than those 6 hours, but for the most part I'm not interested in leaving the kids at school for very long (or really at all) in aftercare at school.

I need a job that's flexible enough that I can take off when a kid gets sick.  With 3 kids this isn't a totally unusual thing.

If Aaron is still working in restaurants and working weekends, I don't want to work 5 days per week. Aaron often has only 2 weekend days off per month. If I work weekdays then that gives us only 2 days off together per month. I don't think this would be a positive thing for our family.

So there's the situation. If I spend a year writing "What I'm gonna do Wednesdays" I should be able to come up with something, right?

First idea:
I don't get a paying job but instead volunteer for some very worthy causes, spend time at the kids school, join the PTA (that's for you Simone), and focus on creating a peaceful home and family environment.

Ah... wouldn't that be nice :)






3 comments:

  1. 1. Thank you! Finally!!!!!
    2. I expect you to have a role in PTA (president, secretary, something)
    3. You could come and clean my house once a week for free! I would tell everyone what a wonderful person you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Your welcome :)
      2. Give me a couple of years, we'll see how high an office I'm destined to hold.
      3. Sounds like a good plan!

      Delete
  2. I think you should volunteer at a daycare.
    ;-)

    Nick

    ReplyDelete